Thursday, February 5, 2015

February 5, 2015

FEBRUARY 5, 2015

Young 20ish girl enters coffee shop with huge grin on her face. She walks to side of counter and poses so that the baristas on duty can see her. One does. Breaking into a huge smile, a young male barista rushes forward and gives her a hug.

Barista: Hey, how you doing, Elaine?  
Ex-barista: Fine. I work around here, so I thought I’d stop by and say hello.  
Barista: Oh, yeah! Where?
Ex-barista: At this place that sells chocolate. You know I love that so I sell some, eat some … *laughter*
Barista: Let me look at you. *takes her by her arms and gives her the onceover* Yup, you look all grown. You’re not the little girl you were when you came to work here.
Ex-barista: Nope. And you’d be proud of me. I drink now.
Barista: No!
Ex-barista: Yes! Sometimes all night. And I do what you do. I go to the bar right down the street—
Barista: And have your soda cup filled?
Ex-barista: Yes, I remembered what I do.
Barista: Good girl! Every day at lunch, I go down there and have them fill the can with some buzz and then I come here and drink it and nobody knows anything and I’m fine and can handle anything.
Ex-barista: Yup, that’s what I do! I copied you. I told you that you’d be proud.
Barista: And I am. *gives her a hug and beams with pride* 

**
Voices from the other side of the room drift in.

Man at far table: But you understand. You’re Catholic, right?
Woman sitting across from him: No, I’m an atheist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment